With that, I will turn it over to Debbie.
Debra L. Reed
Thanks, Rick, and thanks to all of you for joining us today. You may have noticed a new name in the list of introductions Rick just made, so let me introduce Trevor Mihalik, our new Controller and Chief Accounting Officer. He has extensive industry experience in the energy business and also a strong accounting background, and he is going to make a great addition to the already strong management team that we have here at Sempra. I'd also like to mention that Bruce Folkmann, who has been our Acting Controller since October of last year, will become the Vice President and Controller of our U.S. Gas & Power business starting next week.
On today's call, we'll review our second quarter financial results and then we'll give you a regulatory and operational update on our businesses.Let's begin with our financial results. Earlier this morning, we recorded second quarter earnings of $62 million or $0.25 per share, excluding a $179 million non-cash charge related to our investment in the Rockies Express Pipeline, or REX. Adjusted earnings for the second quarter of 2012 were $241 million or $0.98 per share. In the second quarter of 2011, we recorded adjusted earnings of $226 million or $0.94 per share, which excluded the $277 million remeasurement gain we booked when we completed our acquisition of South American Utilities.As many of you are aware, Kinder Morgan, a 50% owner of REX, is in the process of selling its interest in the pipeline as a result of its merger with El Paso. The REX pipeline is contracted through late 2019. The current market conditions for the pipeline are weak due to low gas prices and low basis differential. The sale by Kinder Morgan, coupled with the weak market conditions, led us to determine it was appropriate to record an impairment at this time. Joe will provide more details on this a little later in the call.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV