Sunoco, Inc. (NYSE: SUN) reported net income attributable to Sunoco, Inc. shareholders of $248 million ($2.35 per share diluted) for the second quarter of 2012 versus a net loss attributable to Sunoco, Inc. shareholders of $125 million ($1.03 per share diluted) for the second quarter of 2011. Excluding special items, Sunoco had income of $129 million ($1.22 per share diluted) for the second quarter of 2012 versus income of $20 million ($0.17 per share diluted) for the second quarter of 2011. Key 2012 second quarter details include:
- Logistics and Retail Marketing contributed pretax income of $155 million
- Refining and Supply contributed pretax income of $87 million
- Pretax income from special items totaled $207 million including LIFO inventory gains of $213 million
- Agreed to form Philadelphia Energy Solutions, a joint venture with The Carlyle Group, at its Philadelphia refinery
- Announced definitive merger agreement to be acquired by Energy Transfer Partners, L.P.
“Sunoco had a solid quarter thanks to excellent results in its logistics and retail segments which contributed pretax income of $82 and $73 million, respectively. These businesses continue to provide steady, ratable cash flows we can count on,” said Brian P. MacDonald, Sunoco’s chairman, chief executive officer and president. “Results in our refining and supply segment rebounded during the quarter and provided a nice lift on higher realized margins.”
Commenting on the Company’s pending merger with Energy Transfer Partners, L.P. (“ETP”), MacDonald said, “We continue to move forward with the merger process as seen in ETP’s recent filing of a draft Form S-4 registration statement. We are on track and working toward closing this transaction in the fourth quarter of 2012.”
Regarding Sunoco’s pending transaction related to the Philadelphia refinery, MacDonald said, “We continue to make progress in forming the joint venture with The Carlyle Group and anticipate closing that transaction in the third quarter. I want to commend our refinery employees for achieving excellent operating results and capitalizing on the strong market conditions in the quarter.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV