MEMSIC, Inc. (NasdaqGM: MEMS), a leading MEMS sensing solution provider, today announced financial results for the second quarter ended June 30, 2012.
- Net sales totaled $14.4 million compared to $15.4 million in the 2011 quarter.
- Gross margin was 40.1% compared to 32.5% in the 2011 quarter.
- Operating expenses totaled $6.2 million compared to $6.6 million in the 2011 quarter.
- GAAP net loss was $0.5 million, or $0.02 per diluted share, compared to $1.1 million, or $0.05 per diluted share, in the 2011 quarter.
- EBITDA was $0.8 million, compared to ($0.1) million in the 2011 quarter.
For the six months ended June 30, 2012, net sales totaled $34.4 million compared to $28.3 million in the first six months of 2011. Net income totaled $0.7 million, or $0.03 per diluted share, compared to a net loss of $2.4 million, or $0.10 per diluted share in the prior-year period. EBITDA totaled $3.2 million compared to ($0.3) million in the 2011 period.
“Although we experienced a revenue drop from one large mobile customer, we achieved gross margin improvement in the quarter,” commented MEMSIC Chairman, President and CEO Dr. Yang Zhao. “We understand that focusing on the right customer base is important to MEMSIC’s long-term growth and prosperity.
“We are pursuing margin improvement by taking steps to further diversify our sensor business into selected market segments, particularly the market for high-precision industrial and automotive applications. We are bringing even more engineering and marketing resources to bear on these markets so we can take full advantage of the opportunities they offer and the technology platform we have established. Leveraging our high-performance and broad product line of sensors and integrated sensor system products, we are targeting the customers that offer long-term opportunity and bottom-line advantages for MEMSIC.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV