Is LinkedIn the Anti-Facebook?
By Julia Boorstin, CNBC Correspondent
NEW YORK ( CNBC) -- LinkedIn (LNKD) reports after the bell Thursday, and with the stock up 51% year-to-date, but down nearly seven percent on Wednesday, investors are wondering if it will remain a rare success story in the volatile Internet space.
LinkedIn's performance since its IPO stands in stark contrast to Facebook's (FB): Its stock has more than doubled.
While Facebook leans on advertising and its payments business is flat, LinkedIn has three revenue streams: recruiting tools, premium subscriptions, and advertising. Facebook may be the fun socializing toy to LinkedIn's buttoned up business tool, but being "boring" seems to be winning over investors.Wall Street expects LinkedIn to report earnings-per-share of 15 cents, 54% higher than a year ago on 78% higher revenue of $216 million. Investors will also be watching for indication of user engagement -- the growth in unique visitors.
| More from CNBC
Where Are the Move-Up Home Buyers?
The Knight Fiasco: How Did It Lose $440 Million?
Does Facebook Have a 'Bot' Problem?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV