PITTSBURGH, Aug. 2, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- L.B. Foster Company (NASDAQ: FSTR) announced that it has been awarded a contract to provide 89,175 of its CXT Concrete Ties for the Sonoma-Marin Area Rail Transit (SMART) project. The CXT Fastclip ties will be installed on the new San Francisco Bay Area passenger rail system connecting Sonoma County to the Larkspur Ferry Terminal in Marin. L.B. Foster began shipping ties to the general contractor, Stacy and Witbeck Inc./Herzog Contracting Corporation Joint Venture, in June 2012 and will complete delivery during the second quarter of 2013.
SMART specified CXT Concrete Ties over wood ties for this important transit project after researching the environmental and cost benefits of both products. "This project is a great example of agency and engineering firms working closely with CXT in an extraordinary effort to specify environmentally-sound ties with proven life cycle cost benefits for a critical transit system," said Mark Hammons, L.B. Foster National Sales Manager for CXT Concrete Ties.
A SMART Project design report notes "the use of concrete ties resulted in estimated track costs from 10% to 15% lower than the use of timber ties using conventional track construction methods. If a mechanized track laying system were to be employed, costs could be as much as 40% lower." The transit agency further stated, "life cycle costs for concrete ties are lower than timber ties due primarily to higher maintenance costs for timber ties; greenhouse gas emissions associated with the manufacture and life cycle of concrete ties appear to be less than timber tie emissions; concrete ties avoid the use of wood preservatives; concrete ties avoid the disposal issue associated with treated timber ties removed from service."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV