Buy a Home in One of Our Winning Olympic Cities
Salt Lake City
Utah broker Sandy Straley of SunView Homes believes the 2002 Winter Games helped Salt Lake City weather the Great Recession by bringing in lots of winter-sports tourism.
"Salt Lake City hasn't been hurt as much as other big [Western] cities like Los Angeles or Seattle because we have such a great recreational economy," she says. "All of that skiing and skating helps us."
Straley adds that many of Salt Lake City's 2002 venues remain today, from the Kearns Ice Oval to the Olympic flame that still burns outside the University of Utah stadium that hosted opening and closing ceremonies.Salt Lake City uses the sites for lots of winter-sports competitions, and has also opened up the speed-skating and ski-jump facilities for public use, she says. "That's pretty neat," Straley says. Realtor.com found that median Salt Lake City asking prices rose 8.2% over the past year to reach $210,000.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV