Buy a Home in One of Our Winning Olympic Cities
Lake Placid, N.Y.
Hosting the 1932 and 1980 Winter Games put tiny Lake Placid, N.Y., on the map, says Roby Politi, a former mayor who runs local realty firm Merrill L. Thomas.
After all, the town went down in Olympic history as the site of 1980's "Miracle on Ice," when the U.S. hockey team famously beat the heavily favored Soviets in the middle of the Cold War.
"Lake Placid is probably the one place people associate the most with the Olympics," Politi says. "Los Angeles also hosted two Olympic Games, but does anyone remember that?"The broker says Lake Placid has maintained most of the 1980 facilities, and keeps the Olympic momentum going by regularly hosting world-class summer and winter sporting events. The U.S. Olympic Committee also has its main Eastern U.S. training facility in 2,500-population Lake Placid, which is some 290 miles north of New York City in the Adirondack Mountains. All of that has helped the community's real estate sector, which consists primarily of vacation homes. Median list prices rose 7% in town over the past year to reach $464,450, according to Realtor.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV