Walgreen Co. (NYSE: WAG) (NASDAQ: WAG), the largest drug store chain in the U.S., and Alliance Boots, a leading international pharmacy-led health and beauty group, announced the completion today of Walgreens initial investment in the strategic partnership to create the first global pharmacy-led, health and wellbeing enterprise. This follows receipt of all required regulatory approvals.
The Walgreens investment consists of approximately $4.0 billion in cash and 83.4 million shares of Walgreens common stock in exchange for a 45% equity stake in Alliance Boots*. Walgreens has the option to proceed to a full combination in approximately three years’ time by acquiring the remaining 55% of Alliance Boots*. As a result of the transaction, Alliance Santé Participations S.A. (of which Stefano Pessina, Executive Chairman, Alliance Boots, is a director and whose ultimate ownership is a family trust) becomes the largest shareholder of Walgreens, with a stake it intends to hold for the long term.
Stefano Pessina and Dominic Murphy, Member of the general partner of KKR & Co. L.P., have today joined the Walgreens Board of Directors. At the same time, Gregory Wasson, President and Chief Executive Officer of Walgreens, Wade Miquelon, Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, Thomas Sabatino, Executive Vice-President and General Counsel, and Robert Zimmerman, Senior Vice President and Chief Strategy Officer, have become members of the Alliance Boots Board of Directors.
*Excludes the Alliance Boots minority interest in Galenica, the Swiss healthcare group. The Alliance Boots investment in Galenica will continue to be owned by Alliance Boots and its existing shareholders for the benefit of those shareholders.About Walgreens As the nation's largest drugstore chain with fiscal 2011 sales of $72 billion, Walgreens ( www.walgreens.com) vision is to become America’s first choice for health and daily living. Each day, Walgreens provides nearly 6 million customers the most convenient, multichannel access to consumer goods and services and trusted, cost-effective pharmacy, health and wellness services and advice in communities across America. Walgreens scope of pharmacy services includes retail, specialty, infusion, medical facility and mail service, along with respiratory services. These services improve health outcomes and lower costs for payers including employers, managed care organizations, health systems, pharmacy benefit managers and the public sector. The company operates 7,907 drugstores in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. Take Care Health Systems is a Walgreens subsidiary that is the largest and most comprehensive manager of worksite health and wellness centers and in-store convenient care clinics, with more than 700 locations throughout the country. About Alliance Boots Alliance Boots is a leading international, pharmacy-led health and beauty group delivering a range of products and services to customers. For the financial year ended 31 March 2012, Alliance Boots reported revenue of £23.0 billion ($35.7 billion**), (£25.4 billion ($39.4 billion**) including share of associates and joint ventures), and EBITDA of £1,443 million ($2,237 million**), (£1,568 million ($2,430 million**) including share of associates and joint ventures). Working in close partnership with manufacturers and pharmacists, Alliance Boots is committed to improving health in the local communities it serves and helping its customers and patients to look and feel their best. Alliance Boots focus is on growing its two core businesses: pharmacy-led health and beauty retailing and pharmaceutical wholesaling and distribution.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV