China Watch: Not a Merry Time for Maritime
The real danger to marine shippers lies in the battered global economy rather than any threat of conflict over a tract of ocean in Southeast Asia.
Over the past two years, Cosco's share prices have fallen a steep 63%. Pacific Basin shares are down 42% and Evergreen has lost 33% over the same period. Neptune Orient is down 46% and Maersk off 16%.
And over the past two years, sandwiched between the 2008-2009 global financial crisis and the August 2011 relapse, marine shippers have faced a cut in demand from Europe and the United States. Ships are in oversupply. They have paid higher prices for fuel because of rising crude oil prices.
Financing and refinancing are tougher now as European banks, the main lenders to shipping firms, pull back because of ratings downgrades. The shippers can't pass those costs on to customers unless the world economy improves.Capt. Bhatia calls these problems "detrimental to the prospects of the shipping industry in general." At the time of publication, Jennings held no positions in stocks mentioned. This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV