NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Shares of Wall Street broker and market maker Knight Capital Group (KCG) were being slaughtered in premarket trading Thursday after the firm announced a $440 million pretax loss tied to the latest stock market flash crash.
Shares plunged as much as 58% in premarket trading following the loss announcement.
The Jersey City, N.J., broker said that its market making unit had suffered a "technical glitch" Wednesday morning, which had caused a high level of volatility for a large number of individual stocks, some of which saw their trading halted. The Securities and Exchange Commission said it was investigating the problem.
"Knight has traded out of its entire erroneous trade position, which has resulted in a realized pre-tax loss of approximately $440 million," the firm said in a statement Thursday morning. "Although the company's capital base has been severely impacted, the company's broker/dealer subsidiaries are in full compliance with their net capital requirements. Knight will continue its trading and market making activities at the commencement of trading today."More concerning to shareholders, however, was the point that Knight was "actively pursuing its strategic and financing alternatives to strengthen its capital base," according to the statement.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV