From buying book bags to coordinating carpools, the parental back-to-school to-do list runs deep. And Health Net, Inc. (NYSE: HNT) reminds parents that, high on that list, should be an entry that’s often forgotten: making dental-checkup appointments for their children.
“It’s really important that parents make good dental health a high priority in their children’s lives,” explains Robert Shechet, D.D.S., director of dental programs for Health Net. “What many people don’t realize is that children who don’t receive appropriate dental care can grow up to become adults with poor dental health. And poor dental health can lead to heart attacks, strokes, premature or low-weight babies, diabetes complications and other serious medical issues.”
Shechet also noted that youngsters who are experiencing tooth or gum pain may have difficulty concentrating and performing well in school.
In an effort to avoid these negative outcomes, Health Net is using the back-to-school season as an opportunity to remind parents that it recommends children see a dentist twice a year for general checkups and cleanings. Health Net also is sharing simple tips for healthy teeth.“We’re very committed to children’s dental health,” says Shechet. “That’s why we recently added dental visits to Health Net’s Kids and Teens Challenge program. Members who are age 20 or younger – and who’ve had a dental visit with a Health Net dental provider – can call 1-800-804-6074 and enter into a weekly drawing for a $50 gift card.” Shechet further pointed out that – in California – children starting public school for the first time (at kindergarten or first grade) must have a dental checkup by May 31 of their first school year. As part of this legal requirement, the treating dentist must sign a form that then must be submitted to the child’s school. Tips for Healthy Teeth Establishing good dental hygiene habits early on is key to long-term dental health. Toward this end, the following tips are recommended by the American Dental Association:
- Brush – Brush your teeth at least twice per day: after breakfast and before bedtime. Another good time to brush is after eating snacks.
- Tools – Use fluoride toothpaste and a soft-bristled toothbrush. Replace your toothbrush, or electric-toothbrush head, every three months; sooner, if the bristles become frayed. A child’s toothbrush tends to wear out quicker than an adult’s and needs to be replaced more often.
- Technique – Hold your toothbrush at a slight angle against your teeth; brush with short, back-and-forth motions. Brush the top and side surfaces of your teeth, as well as your tongue and gum lines.
- Floss – Floss daily. Start with about 18 inches of dental floss; wrap most of the floss around the middle finger of one hand, and stretch the remaining floss around the middle finger on the other hand, leaving about one inch to floss your first tooth. Using your thumbs and forefingers, pull the floss from the gum line to the top of the tooth. Unwind fresh floss as you move from tooth to tooth.
- Food – Cut down on food and drinks that are high in acid, such as sodas. High levels of acid can erode the outer surface (enamel) of your teeth.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV