Eagle Materials Inc. (NYSE: EXP) today reported financial results for the first quarter of fiscal 2013 ended June 30, 2012. Notable items for the quarter include (all comparisons, unless noted, are with the prior-year’s first quarter):
- Revenues of $154.0 million, up 29%
- Segment operating earnings of $29.1 million, up 198%
- Net earnings per diluted share of $0.31 versus $0.02
Construction activity continued to improve during the quarter and Eagle’s low cost operations continued to execute well during the first quarter of fiscal 2013.
First quarter sales volumes improved across all business lines and wallboard net sales prices increased 32% as compared to the prior year’s first quarter. Eagle’s first quarter of fiscal 2013 cement operating earnings were negatively impacted by approximately $8 million, or $0.12 per diluted share, in increased maintenance costs associated with planned major maintenance at all of our cement facilities. Improved first quarter operating cash flow was used to fund capital expenditures, pay dividends and reduce debt which further strengthened our financial position. Eagle ended the quarter with a healthy net debt-to-capitalization ratio of 34%.
Cement, Concrete and AggregatesCement revenues for the first quarter, including joint venture and intersegment revenues, totaled $76.0 million, 26% greater than the same quarter last year. The revenue improvement reflects a 26% increase in our first quarter Cement sales volume. The average net sales price for this quarter was $81.06 per ton, comparable with the same quarter last year. Cement price increases were achieved in both the Texas and Mountain regions during the quarter but were offset by the increased pace of high-volume, lower-priced bid work in our other markets. Operating earnings from Cement for the first quarter were $9.9 million, a 12% increase from the same quarter a year ago. The earnings impact from increased cement sales volumes was mostly offset by higher maintenance costs associated with scheduled maintenance at all of our cement facilities.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV