As American families and students prepare for the start of a new school year, Mattress Firm, the nation’s largest mattress retailer, has teamed up with Protect-A-Bed to help raise awareness for the health and academic benefits of a good night’s sleep.
According to The National Sleep Foundation, school-aged kids from 5-12 years old need 10-11 hours of sleep each night to meet the demands of academic and extracurricular activities. In teenagers and young adults, 8.5 to 9.25 hours of sleep is critical to optimal school performance. Poor or inadequate sleep can lead to mood swings, behavioral problems such as hyperactivity and cognitive problems that impact their performance in school. According to a study by the Journal of Sleep Research, students 11–14 who obtained lower levels of sleep exhibited lower self-esteem and grades, and higher levels of depression.
Interestingly, it’s not only the quantity of sleep that matters; quality matters too. The Better Sleep Council estimates that nearly 70 percent of old beds are handed down, often repeatedly, to children. Parents will upgrade to a new mattress set but their kids often sleep on beds that are 10 years old or more. The Better Sleep council advises that old mattresses should be replaced. A poorly constructed mattress or a mattress that is beyond eight years old often fails to support the body, causing muscle aches and fatigue.
“At Mattress Firm, we are committed to helping our customers get a good night’s sleep, and part of that commitment is educating them about the importance of replacing a mattress every eight years,” said Steve Stagner, President and Chief Executive Officer at Mattress Firm. “As students start the school year, it’s a good time to think about the age of their mattress. Newer mattresses provide optimal support that can help the body feel rested and refreshed in the morning, leading to better physical and mental performance all day long.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV