Stage Stores, Inc. (NYSE: SSI) today reported that total sales for the four week July period ended July 28, 2012 increased 7.9% to $110 million from $102 million in the prior year four week July period ended July 30, 2011. Comparable store sales for the July period increased 5.3%.
The Company stated that most of its merchandise categories achieved comparable store sales increases during July, with accessories, cosmetics, home & gifts, misses sportswear and young men’s exceeding the Company average. Geographically, the Northeast, Mid Atlantic, South Central and Southwest regions all outperformed.
For the second quarter, the Company reported that total sales increased 8.2% to $381 million from $353 million last year. Comparable store sales for the quarter increased 5.4%. For the first six months of the fiscal year, the Company reported total sales of $747 million and a comparable store sales increase of 4.0%.
|Comparable Store Sales||Total Sales|
|% Increase (Decrease)||($ in Millions)|
|1 st Quarter||2.5||0.2||366||346|
|2 nd Quarter||5.4||0.9||381||353|
|Year-To-Date (6 Mos)||4.0||0.5||747||699|
Michael Glazer, President and Chief Executive Officer, commented, “We are very pleased with our 5.3% comparable store sales increase for July and our 5.4% increase for the second quarter. Clearly our merchandise offerings are resonating well with our customers and our performance continues to benefit from an increased average transaction. Looking ahead, we feel good about our merchandise assortments, our marketing plans and our store execution as we enter the back-to-school shopping period.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV