ANCHORAGE, Alaska, Aug. 1, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- General Communication, Inc. ("GCI") (NASDAQ: GNCMA) today reported its second quarter 2012 results with revenues increasing to $176.1 million over revenues of $168.1 million in the second quarter of 2011. Adjusted EBITDA increased 8.2 percent or $4.5 million over the second quarter of 2011 EBITDA of $54.9 million.
Revenues in the second quarter of 2012 were favorably impacted by the recognition of $1.6 million in revenues for services provided to a managed broadband customer for their fiscal year ended June 30, 2009, following a successful regulatory appeal. The EBITDA impact of $1.6 million in additional revenues was offset entirely by $1.8 million of costs related to the previously announced transaction to form The Alaska Wireless Network, LLC ("AWN").
GCI's second quarter 2012 net income totaled $4.0 million or earnings per diluted share of $0.09 and compares to a net loss of $2.0 million or loss per diluted share of $(0.04) for the same period of 2011.
Second quarter of 2012 revenues increased $4.2 million over revenues of $171.9 million in the first quarter of 2012. Adjusted EBITDA increased $4.6 million or 8.4 percent over adjusted EBITDA of $54.8 million in the first quarter of 2012."We took a major step forward this quarter by reaching agreement with Alaska Communications to combine our wireless networks," said Ron Duncan, GCI president. "Once implemented, we look forward to providing GCI customers the best overall wireless service in urban and rural Alaska. Adding Alaska Communications' substantial mobile radio spectrum portfolio, LTE network, and wireless tower footprint to GCI's wireless assets will result in a substantially more capable statewide 4G wireless platform." GCI previously provided guidance on revenues of $690 million to $720 million and adjusted EBITDA of $230 million to $240 million for the year 2012. Highlights
- GCI entered into an agreement with Alaska Communications Systems Group, Inc. to form The Alaska Wireless Network, LLC ("AWN") that will hold and operate both companies' wireless facilities. AWN will provide a robust, statewide network with the spectrum, scale, advanced technology and cost structure necessary to compete with the national carriers. GCI will invest $100 million to gain a majority interest in a wireless network operation that is twice the size of its current one. The AWN transaction is subject to required governmental approvals and other customary conditions.
- GCI began selling the iPhone on April 20, 2012 and has sold 9,200 iPhones by the end of the second quarter of 2012. GCI estimates 40 percent of iPhones sales are to new subscribers. The iPhone has been well received by GCI's customers and the costs associated with the launch have been within expectations.
- GCI had 141,000 wireless subscribers at the end of the second quarter of 2012 and is the second largest wireless service provider in Alaska. Wireless subscribers increased by 1,000 over the first quarter of 2012. Average monthly revenue per subscriber was $67.69, a decrease of 1.4 percent from $68.65 for the first quarter of 2012.
- Managed Broadband revenues for the second quarter of 2012 totaled $21.7 million, an increase of $7.1 million or 48.4 percent over the second quarter of 2011, primarily as a result of the turn-up of GCI's TERRA-Southwest terrestrial network.
- GCI had 123,500 consumer and commercial cable modem customers at the end of the second quarter of 2012, an increase of 1,500 over the 122,000 cable modem customers at the end of the first quarter 2012. Average monthly revenue per cable modem for the second quarter of 2012 was $63.64, an increase of 19.0 percent over $53.46 for the prior year and an increase of 3.5 percent over the $61.48 figure posted for the first quarter of 2012.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV