SM Energy Company (NYSE: SM) announces financial results for the second quarter of 2012 and provides an operations update. In addition, a new presentation for the Company's second quarter earnings and operations update will be posted on the Company's website at www.sm-energy.com. This presentation will be referenced during the conference call scheduled for 8:00 a.m. Mountain Time (10:00 a.m. Eastern Time) on August 2, 2012. Information for the earnings call can be found below.
SECOND QUARTER 2012 RESULTS
SM Energy reported net income for the second quarter of 2012 of $24.9 million or $0.37 per diluted share. This compares to net income of $124.5 million, or $1.86 per diluted share, for the same period of 2011. Adjusted net income for the second quarter of 2012 was $5.9 million, or $0.09 per diluted share, compared to adjusted net income of $61.1 million, or $0.91 per diluted share, for the same period of 2011. Adjusted net income excludes certain items that the Company believes affect the comparability of operating results. The Company generally excludes non-recurring items or items whose timing and/or amount cannot be reasonably estimated, and large non-cash items, such as gains or losses on divestiture activity and unrealized gains or losses from derivative activity. A summary of the adjustments made to arrive at adjusted net income is presented in the table below:
|Adjusted Net Income Reconciliation|
|(in thousands, except per share data)|
|Reconciliation of net income (GAAP) to adjusted net income (Non-GAAP):|
|For the Three Months Ended June 30,|
|Reported net income (GAAP)||$||24,889||$||124,533|
|Adjustments, net of tax: (1)|
|Change in Net Profits Plan liability||(13,844||)||(8,823||)|
|Unrealized derivative gain||(51,205||)||(36,500||)|
|Loss (gain) on divestiture activity||15,158||(18,940||)|
|Impairment of proved properties||24,154||—|
|Abandonment & impairment of unproved properties||6,713||780|
|Adjusted net income (Non-GAAP)||$||5,865||$||61,050|
|Adjusted net income per common share|
|Weighted-average common shares outstanding|
(1) For the three-month periods ended June 30, 2012, adjustments are shown net of tax and are calculated using an effective tax rate of 37.3%, which approximates the Company's statutory tax rate, as adjusted for ordinary permanent differences. For the three-month period ended June 30, 2011, adjustments are shown net of tax using the effective income tax rate as calculated by dividing the income tax expense by income before income taxes as shown on the consolidated statement of operations for that period.Earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, depletion, amortization, accretion, and exploration expense ("EBITDAX") was $213.7 million for the second quarter of 2012, down from $242.4 million for the same period of 2011.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV