“We remain busy internationally. In Mexico, we have $34 million of revenue remaining in 2012 on our existing contracts and we are actively bidding more work to commence this year. Additionally, we were very pleased with our recent announcement of our alliance with Fugro TSM and our joint charter of the Toisa Paladin. We believe this alliance and such a high class asset will help grow our presence in Australia and provide enhanced opportunities in other parts of the world. Finally, we commenced our first project in West Africa in July and continue to bid for more work in the region.”
Mr. Hébert continued, “We also recently completed a convertible debt offering and used the net proceeds of approximately $83 million to repay a significant portion of our existing term loan. We believe replacing a significant portion of our secured debt with unsecured debt that will be excluded from the leverage ratio covenant of our credit agreement provides us with the long-term financial flexibility and liquidity needed to operate and grow the Company, while maintaining a relatively low cash interest rate on our debt.”
- Backlog: Contracted backlog was $238 million as of June 30, 2012, of which 71% is expected to be performed in 2012. This compares to backlog of $178 million at December 31, 2011 and $176 million at June 30, 2011. The backlog as of June 30, 2012 excludes work for the recently announced Toisa Paladin charter for the fourth quarter.
- Revenues: Second quarter 2012 revenues decreased by $3.7 million to $120.3 million as compared to second quarter 2011. The decrease is primarily due to the impact of Tropical Storm Debby, which idled more than half of the Company’s active vessels during the latter half of June as the storm moved through the Gulf of Mexico.
- Gross Profit: Second quarter 2012 gross profit decreased by $1.5 million to $0.2 million as compared to second quarter 2011. The decrease in profit is primarily due to the same reasons as the revenues decrease discussed above partially offset by lower costs.
- SG&A: Second quarter 2012 SG&A decreased by $4.0 million, or 24%, to $12.8 million as compared to second quarter 2011. The decrease is primarily due to various cost reduction measures implemented by the Company in response to the lower levels of business activity over the last 18 months. As a percentage of revenues, SG&A was 11% for the second quarter 2012 compared to 14% for the second quarter 2011.
- Net Interest Expense: Second quarter 2012 net interest expense increased by $1.0 million to $3.3 million as compared to second quarter 2011, primarily due to higher interest rate margins under the Company’s credit facility and higher average outstanding balances under its revolving credit facility.
- Income Tax: The effective tax benefit rate for the second quarter 2012 was 38.4% compared to 66.2% for the second quarter 2011. The tax benefit rate for 2012 reflects the mix of pre-tax profit between U.S. and international jurisdictions with varying statutory rates. The high tax benefit rate in 2011 was primarily due to a one time change in the management structure of certain foreign operations.
- Balance Sheet: Debt consisted of $131.8 million under a term loan and $27.0 million outstanding under a revolving credit facility, and cash and cash equivalents were $10.1 million, for a net debt position of $148.7 million as of June 30, 2012, compared to net debt positions of $134.4 million at December 31, 2011 and $182.7 million at June 30, 2011. The increase in net debt from December 31, 2011 is primarily due to customary, seasonal working capital needs.
Further details will be provided during Cal Dive’s conference call, scheduled for 9 a.m. Central Time on August 2, 2012. The teleconference dial-in numbers are: (800) 329-9097 (domestic), (617) 614-4929 (international), passcode 47971631. Investors will be able to obtain the slide presentation and listen to the live conference call broadcast from the Investor Relations page at www.caldive.com. A replay will also be available from the Investor Relations-Presentations page.Cal Dive International, Inc., headquartered in Houston, Texas, is a marine contractor that provides an integrated offshore construction solution to its customers, including manned diving, pipelay and pipe burial, platform installation and platform salvage services to the offshore oil and natural gas industry on the Gulf of Mexico OCS, Northeastern U.S., Latin America, Australia, Southeast Asia, China, West Africa, the Middle East and the Mediterranean, with a diversified fleet of surface and saturation diving support vessels and construction barges.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV