Albany International Corp. (NYSE:AIN) reported a Q2 2012 loss from continuing operations of $57.8 million ($1.84 per share), including a charge of $110.6 million ($2.34 per share) for pension plan settlements, restructuring charges of $3.2 million ($0.07 per share), foreign currency revaluation gains of $5.8 million ($0.14 per share), and net unfavorable income tax adjustments of $1.3 million ($0.04 per share). In June 2012, the Company completed the sale of its PrimaLoft ® Products business, resulting in a gain of $35.0 million (see Table 6). Q2 2012 income from discontinued operations was $0.76 per share.
For the second quarter of 2011, income from continuing operations was $4.5 million ($0.15 per share), including restructuring charges of $1.7 million ($0.04 per share), foreign currency revaluation losses of $1.5 million ($0.03 per share), a gain on the sale of a building of $0.6 million ($0.01 per share), and unfavorable income tax adjustments of $0.6 million ($0.02 per share) (see Table 7).
The following table summarizes net sales by segment and the effect of changes in currency translation rates:
|Three Months ended||in Currency||excluding|
|(in thousands)||2012||2011||Change||Rates||Rate Effect|
|Machine Clothing (MC)||$177,122||$179,177||-1.1%||($2,637)||0.3%|
|Engineered Composites (AEC)||14,818||10,504||41.1||-||41.1|
Gross profit was $78.5 million (40.9 percent of net sales) in the second quarter of 2012, compared to $73.9 million (39.0 percent of net sales) in the same period of 2011. The increase primarily was due to Machine Clothing, where gross profit margins increased from 41.8 percent in 2011 to 44.2 percent in 2012, as a result of high plant utilization in the Americas and favorable geographic sales mix.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV