American Safety Insurance Holdings, Ltd. Reports Second Quarter Financial Results
American Safety Insurance Holdings, Ltd. (NYSE:ASI) today reported net earnings of $2.2 million for the three months ended June 30, 2012, or $0.21 per diluted share, as compared to $4.1 million, or $0.38 per diluted share, for the same period of 2011.
Financial highlights for the quarter included 1 :
- Gross written premiums increased 6% to $87.5 million
- Net earned premiums increased 5% to $62.0 million
- Total revenues were $70.1 million compared to $68.2 million
- The combined ratio was 107.1% compared to 105.6%
- The combined ratio excluding net weather related property losses was 101.3% compared to 97.0%
- Net operating earnings 2 exclusive of net weather related property losses were $5.2 million compared to $7.3 million
- Annualized return on average equity (exclusive of realized and unrealized gains from investments) was 3.0%
- Book value was $32.28 per diluted share versus $30.80 at December 31, 2011
1All comparisons are with the same period last year unless stated otherwise.
2 Net operating earnings (loss) is a non-GAAP financial measure defined by the Company as net earnings adjusted for net realized gains (losses), net of applicable taxes.Second Quarter Results Total revenues in the quarter increased to $70.1 million from $68.2 million in 2011 driven by an increase in net earned premiums, partially offset by a decrease in investment income. Net earnings include $3.0 million of after-tax net weather related property losses compared to $3.4 million in the 2011 quarter. The combined ratio of 107.1% consists of a loss ratio of 65.8% and an expense ratio of 41.3%, compared to 67.4% and 38.2%, respectively, for the same quarter of 2011. Pre-tax net weather related property losses in the 2012 quarter were $3.6 million (or 5.8 points) compared to $5.1 million (or 8.6 points) for the 2011 quarter. The expense ratio increase was attributable to: (a) lower acquisition costs in 2011 due to the impact of property catastrophe losses on profit commissions, (b) mix of business and (c) costs associated with growth initiatives.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts