First Solar, Inc. (Nasdaq: FSLR) today announced financial results for the second quarter of 2012. Net sales were $957 million in the quarter, an increase of $460 million from the first quarter of 2012 and $425 million from the second quarter of 2011. The increases were primarily due to an increase in the number and size of projects under construction meeting revenue recognition criteria during the quarter, including Antelope Valley Solar Ranch 1 in California and Silver State North in Nevada.
The Company reported second quarter net income of $1.27 per fully diluted share, compared to a net loss of $5.20 per fully diluted share in the first quarter of 2012 and net income of $0.70 per fully diluted share in the second quarter of 2011. The second quarter of 2012 was impacted by pre-tax charges of $36 million (reducing EPS by $0.39), relating to restructuring and certain costs in excess of normal warranty.
Cash and Marketable Securities at the end of the second quarter were $744 million, down from $750 million at the end of the first quarter of 2012.
Based on reductions in First Solar’s ongoing cost structure primarily related to our restructuring initiatives, the Company is increasing 2012 guidance as follows:
- Net Sales of $3.6 - $3.9 billion, compared to prior guidance of $3.5 - $3.8 billion.
- Earnings per fully diluted share to $4.20-$4.70, compared to prior guidance of $4.00-$4.50, in each case excluding restructuring and impairment charges, and certain costs in excess of normal warranty expense.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts