Net income was $1.49 billion, or 90 cents a share. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters had estimated 74 cents. Revenue declined 4% to $37.6 billion. Analysts had estimated $38.6 billion.
In the same quarter a year earlier, net income was $2.54 billion, or $1.54 a share, on revenue of $39.4 billion. The revenue decline "was due almost entirely to the strengthening of the U.S. dollar versus other major currencies," GM said.
"Our results in North America, (Asia) and at GM Financial were solid but we clearly have more work to do to offset the headwinds we face, especially in regions like Europe and South America," said CEO Dan Akerson, in a prepared statement. "Despite the challenging environment, GM has now achieved 10 consecutive quarters of profitability, which is a milestone the company has not achieved in more than a decade."Earnings before interest and tax adjusted were $2.1 billion, compared with $3 billion a year earlier. GM North America reported EBIT-adjusted earnings of $1.97 billion, down from $2.25 billion in the same quarter a year earlier. GM Europe reported an EBIT-adjusted loss of $361 million, compared with a gain of $102 million a year earlier. GM's international operations, operating in Asia, reported EBIT-adjusted of $557 million, down slightly from $573 million. GM South America reported a loss of $19 million, compared with a year-earlier gain of $57 million. GM Financial's EBIT was $217 million, up from about $144 million. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/tedreednc. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV