Aug. 1, 2012
/PRNewswire/ -- Fact: Breast milk sells on the Internet for approximately 262 times the price of oil. Why? It's the greatest gift a mom can give her baby. Not only a benefit to baby by boosting immunity and promoting brain development, breastfeeding also reduces mom's lifetime risk of developing breast or ovarian cancer, while burning an average of 500 calories per day!
In support of National Breastfeeding Awareness Month in August and to fight the stigma against breastfeeding,
, the fastest-growing
, the number one breastfeeding website, today announced the "
Public Display of Breastfeeding
" (PDB) campaign. While the majority of moms are all for breastfeeding in public, a poll conducted by TheBump.com found that more than 1 in 10 moms surveyed felt breastfeeding should be done in private instead of public, and 14% admitted public breastfeeding makes them a little uncomfortable—a clear indication that there's not enough support for breastfeeding moms.
TheBump.com created the PDB campaign to encourage moms to show their breastfeeding pride in public on
August 15, 2012
. On this official "Public Display of Breastfeeding Day," more than 1,000 moms on TheBump.com have promised to breastfeed—and the number continues to grow. Moms are posting their pride on Facebook and on Twitter with the hashtag #PDB and also encouraging fellow moms to join the boob-olution.
"There can never be enough support and encouragement for moms to breastfeed, and as a leading pregnancy resource, we wanted to reach moms everywhere to raise awareness for the proven and undeniable benefits of breastfeeding," says
, editor in chief of TheBump.com. "With plenty of stigmas associated with breastfeeding in public and breastfeeding in general, we felt it was our duty to launch the Public Display of Breastfeeding campaign. We hope to empower moms across the country to see and believe they can breastfeed anywhere."
In addition to TheBump.com and Breastfeeding.com Public Display of Breastfeeding campaign, TheBump.com offers breastfeeding resources, online events and information on TheBump.com/breastfeeding, including:
- Ta-ta Tuesdays With Lactation Consultants: Ta-tas, boobies, knockers—we know you've got questions about them and breastfeeding. Good news: We've got answers! Each Tuesday in August, moms can chat free with a lactation consultant from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. ET about all their breastfeeding questions and concerns, and they can win breastfeeding pillows (standard and travel-size!) and swag from Boppy. Here's TheBump.com "Ta-ta Tuesday" lineup:
- August 7: Getting Prepped for Breastfeeding
- August 14: Latches and Positioning
- August 21: Breastfeeding a Newborn and Older Baby
- August 28: Breastfeeding Problems
- Celebrity Mom Breastfeeding Stories: Celebs breastfeed their babies and are proud of it too! Gossip Girl actress Kelly Rutherford, musician Lisa Loeb and actress Ali Landry are among the celebrity profiles featured on TheBump.com/breastfeeding with real breastfeeding stories and star-studded mama advice.
- More Than 3,000 Breastfeeding Articles: To help moms answer all the questions running through their minds, TheBump.com and Breastfeeding.com have compiled more than 3,000 breastfeeding articles, along with lists of the top 10 breastfeeding benefits and the hilarious places moms have breastfed.
- Informative Breastfeeding Videos: Sometimes you just need a visual! TheBump.com offers a variety of informative how-to breastfeeding videos, including Breast Milk Storage 101, Increasing Your Breast Milk Supply and Is Baby Eating Enough During Breastfeeding?
- Largest Breastfeeding Online Community: TheBump.com and Breastfeeding.com house two of the largest online communities of breastfeeding moms, who share tips, personal advice and support on the topic, 24/7.
Now, it wouldn't be a campaign without a big giveaway too! TheBump.com is giving one lucky mom a Celebrity "BUMP" bag filled with baby essentials from Jewels and Pinstripes valued at
. Moms who pledge to breastfeed and tweet @thebump with the hashtag #PDB
between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET
on August 15 will be entered for a chance to win the gift bag.
The Bump is the only multiplatform brand focused exclusively on first-time moms looking for the inside scoop on fertility, pregnancy and new mommyhood, reaching millions of moms each year through The Bump Network, including TheBump.com, Breastfeeding.com and
local guide. The Bump editorial team, "born" on The Knot, provides new moms stage-by-stage advice, stylish ideas, local resources, interactive tools and a savvy online community who are obsessed with knowing about everything baby. The Bump is a part of XO Group Inc. (NYSE: XOXO;
), a global media and technology leader devoted to weddings, pregnancy and everything in between. Follow The Bump on Twitter @thebump.
Breastfeeding.com is the number one breastfeeding website, with thousands of dedicated Q&As, articles and videos focused on providing the most comprehensive and easy-to-understand collection of breastfeeding content. Offering the ultimate team of breastfeeding experts and leading authorities, Breastfeeding.com has a massive directory of nearly 4,000 lactation consultants and the largest community of breastfeeding moms, who provide constant support, advice and tips to other breastfeeding moms. Breastfeeding.com is part of XO Group Inc. (NYSE: XOXO), formerly The Knot Inc., a global media and technology leader devoted to weddings, pregnancy and everything in between.
SOURCE XO Group Inc.