- JPMorgan Chase (JPM - Get Report) on July 12 redeemed $9 billion in trust preferred shares, including nearly $4.2 billion with coupons higher than 6.5%. All the shares were redeemed for face value.
- Bank of America (BAC - Get Report) on July 25 redeemed $3.9 billion in trust preferred shares, all of which had coupons of 6.00% or higher, with $2.3 billion paying over 7.50%. The company paid premium redemption prices for $1.8 billion of the redeemed trust preferreds. When Bank of America announced its second-quarter results on July 18, the company said that the retirement of trust preferred securities and debt, combined with "additional liability management actions announced for the third quarter of 2012, are expected to benefit quarterly net interest income by approximately $300 million, of which $60 million was recognized in the second quarter of 2012."
- Many regional banks are also following the trend, as the regulators have given them no choice, including BB&T (BBT) of Winston-Salem, N.C., which in July redeemed $3.1 billion in trust preferreds at face value, of which $350 million paid a fixed rate of 8.10%, while $575 million paid a fixed rate of 9.60%.
Banks Find New Way to Squeeze Investors: Street Whispers
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.