Johnson Controls (JCI) is the last stock we'll take a look at today. A diversified manufacturer, the firm operates in three businesses: HVAC systems, automotive interiors, and car batteries. While that positioning has historically left Johnson Controls beholden to the automotive sector, that's actually been a good thing for the firm more recently. After all, car sales have been on fire as near-zero interest rates and a historically old national car fleet sent buyers looking for new rides.
But while things look good here at home in the world's biggest car market, they're looking less good in Europe, where economic headwinds are plaguing any U.S. company that earns in euros and then converts them to dollars for reporting purposes. Growth in the HVAC business has helped to offset that, as growth in Asia and more efficient upgrades stateside drive revenues for HVAC services and equipment.With cash and investments of over $1.6 billion right now, and ample credit available (including euro denominated accounts), Johnson Controls looks capable of hiking its dividend payout above 18 cents in 2012. A 3% dividend yield makes it a solid core holding for income investors in search of manufacturing exposure. To see these dividend plays in action, check out the Dividend Stocks for the Week portfolio on Stockpickr. And if you haven't already done so, join Stockpickr today to create your own dividend portfolio. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV