NEW YORK ( BankingMyWay) -- You're a small business retailer of women's apparel selling your clever design online. Let's say it's a small, weighted decorative magnet -- maybe in the shape of a poodle or flower -- that can be affixed to a summer skirt so when the wind blows or the subway grate bellows, your skirt doesn't go "Marilyn Monroe" on you.
A payment by check for an order comes in, (but whoops!), the buyer paid way too much for that item. You check to make sure they didn't mean to order 100 of them. Nope, just one. And so when the buyer asks politely that you deposit the check and then send back to them the overpayment, the ethical person in you does just that. The only problem is, the buyer you were dealing with is about as far from ethical as a person can be. In fact, you, the small business owner and online retailer, have just become the latest victim of a pervasive (and lucrative) online sales fraud scheme.
How pervasive? The crime described in the above example, known as overpayment fraud, is listed among the
Bank fraud is an onerous and draining problem for everyone involved in an increasingly virtual world -- including consumers, vendors, banks and law enforcement officials.Javelin Research, which annually issues a comprehensive report on U.S. consumer fraud, says in its
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV