Tuesday's second-quarter earnings release provided more evidence the company's turnaround is progressing. Casual dining is an extremely competitive business with a crowded landscape, It is also littered with chains that could not survive. Denny's nearly joined them, more than once.
Back in 1997, Denny's parent company Flagstar filed for bankruptcy. When Denny's emerged from bankruptcy, its struggles continued, crushed by the weight of a heavy debt load. It was also hampered by the threat of obsolescence. Denny's was a well-known brand during my teenage years, with lots of advertising, but seemingly faded into oblivion over the subsequent decade.
That's one of the other difficulties for restaurant chains -- consumer tastes are always changing, and it's difficult to stay relevant.Case in point: I'd all but forgotten that Denny's was still a publicly traded company until the infamous 2009 Super Bowl breakfast giveaway ad campaign. While not nearly as powerful as the
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV