Baker reduced estimates and price targets because he expects industry operating margins, which improved close to two points in the first half of the year, to around half a point.
Baker projected year-end share prices of $17.50 for Delta, his top pick, which closed Tuesday at $9.65; $19 for US Airways, which closed at $11.46; $38 for United, which closed at $18.89; $10 for JetBlue (JBLU), which closed at $5.51; $39.50 for Alaska (ALK), which closed at $34.85, and $12.50 for Southwest (LUV), which closed at $9.19.
Wolfe Trahan analyst Hunter Keay has a $27 price target for United, and CRT Capital Group analyst Mike Derchin wrote Wednesday that he remains positive on the industry, particularly Delta and United, despite all the concerns. He said the industry generated an estimated $2 billion in second quarter profits despite rising fuel costs.
"Industry fundamentals are continuing to improve yet expectations are very low," Derchin wrote. "Demand is solid. Fares/yields are up. Load factors are at record levels. Ancillary fees are growing. Capacity discipline remains in force."In the current quarter, Derchin estimatesd Delta PRASM will rise 4%, industry PRASM will rise 2% and United PRASM will be flat. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/tedreednc. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV