BOK Financial Corporation reported net income of $97.6 million or $1.43 per diluted share for the second quarter of 2012, up $14.0 million or 17% over the prior quarter. Net income was $83.6 million or $1.22 per diluted share for the first quarter of 2012 and $69.0 million or $1.00 per diluted share for the second quarter of 2011. Net income for the six months ended June 30, 2012 totaled $181.2 million or $2.65 per diluted share compared to $133.8 million or $1.95 per diluted share for the six months ended June 30, 2011.
“BOK Financial is pleased to announce solid performance for the second quarter of 2012,” said President and CEO Stan Lybarger. “All of our non-interest revenue sources increased over the previous quarter, led by a 20% increase in mortgage banking revenue. Our mortgage banking efforts produced outstanding results as the current low interest rate environment continues to drive demand. In addition, improvements in credit quality increased net income by more than $14 million or $0.21 per diluted share during the second quarter. We recognized a $14 million pretax gain on the sale of common stock received in settlement of a defaulted loan and recorded an $8 million negative provision for credit losses."
Highlights of second quarter of 2012 included:
- Net interest revenue increased to $181.4 million for the second quarter of 2012 compared to $173.6 million for the first quarter of 2012. Net interest margin was 3.30% for the second quarter of 2012 and 3.19% for the first quarter of 2012. Net interest revenue for the second quarter of 2012 included $2.9 million from the full recovery of a nonaccruing commercial loan. Excluding this recovery, net interest margin was 3.25% for the second quarter of 2012.
- Fees and commissions revenue totaled $154.5 million, up $10.1 million or 7% over the first quarter of 2012. Mortgage banking revenue increased $6.5 million. All other fee-based revenue sources also increased over the prior quarter.
- Operating expenses, excluding changes in the fair value of mortgage servicing rights, totaled $212.3 million, up $20.0 million over the previous quarter. Personnel expenses were up $7.5 million due largely to incentive compensation. Non-personnel expenses increased $12.4 million due primarily to higher mortgage banking, repossessed assets, and data processing expenses.
- An $8.0 million negative provision for credit losses was recorded in the second quarter of 2012. No provision for credit losses was recorded in the first quarter of 2012. Net charge-offs continued to decrease and other credit quality indicators continue to improve. Net charge-offs totaled $4.8 million or 0.17% of average loans on an annualized basis in the second quarter of 2012 compared to $8.5 million or 0.30% of average loans on an annualized basis in the first quarter of 2012. Net charge-offs for the second quarter were reduced by $2.1 million from the full recovery of a nonaccruing commercial loan.
- The combined allowance for credit losses totaled $241 million or 2.09% of outstanding loans at June 30, 2012 compared to $254 million or 2.20% of outstanding loans at March 31, 2012. Nonperforming assets totaled $279 million or 2.38% of outstanding loans and repossessed assets at June 30, 2012 and $336 million or 2.87% of outstanding loans and repossessed assets at March 31, 2012.
- Outstanding loan balances were $11.6 billion at June 30, 2012, flat compared to the prior quarter. Commercial loan balances increased $93 million and residential mortgage loans increased $37 million over March 31, 2012. Commercial real estate loans decreased $107 million and consumer loans decreased $24 million.
- Period end deposits totaled $18.4 billion at June 30, 2012 compared to $18.5 billion at March 31, 2012. Demand deposit accounts were up $251 million, offset by a $357 million decrease in interest-bearing transaction accounts and a $58 million decrease in time deposits.
- Tangible common equity ratio was 10.07% at June 30, 2012 and 9.75% at March 31, 2012. The tangible common equity ratio is a non-GAAP measure of capital strength used by the Company and investors based on shareholders' equity minus intangible assets and equity that does not benefit common shareholders. The Company and its subsidiary bank continue to exceed the regulatory definition of well capitalized. The Company's Tier 1 capital ratios, as defined by banking regulations, were 13.62% at June 30, 2012 and 13.03% at March 31, 2012.
- The Company paid a cash dividend of $26 million or $0.38 per common share during the second quarter of 2012. On July 31, 2012, the board of directors approved a quarterly cash dividend of $0.38 per common share payable on or about August 31, 2012 to shareholders of record as of August 17, 2012.
Net Interest RevenueNet interest revenue increased $7.8 million over the first quarter of 2012, including $2.9 million from the full recovery of a nonaccruing commercial loan during the second quarter. Excluding this interest recovery, net interest margin increased 6 basis points over the prior quarter to 3.25%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV