HENDERSONVILLE, Tenn., July 31, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- For families with children headed off to college this fall, sales tax-free holidays offer a window of savings that can help make stocking up for life away from home a little easier. Tennessee's sales tax-free holiday is Aug. 3-5 , and local Sam's Club locations are providing additional ways to save by hosting Open House events that weekend. During the Open House, non-members can shop at Sam's Club without a membership and are not required to pay the customary 10 percent service fee if they make a purchase.
Sales Tax-Free Holiday
Parents will spend an average of $2,450* as they prepare to send a student to college, and sales tax-free events provide a way to stretch their back-to-college budgets even further. In Tennessee, items exempt from state sales tax during the tax-free weekend include computers, clothing and school supplies. (Editor's note: go to http://tn.gov/revenue/salestaxholiday/index.shtml for a complete listing of items that are exempt and not exempt from state sales tax during this event.)
In some cases, the money saved on sales tax exempt items is enough to purchase additional items. For example, purchasing a Dell XPS 13" Ultrabook for $999 would yield enough savings to buy an Atlantic TV Stand and Gaming Hub for $59.86. Some of the merchandise available for purchase at Tennessee Sam's Club locations and eligible for sales tax-free status includes:
- Dell Inspiron One 2320 for $699
- Eddie Bauer Ruffle Henley, $14.98
- SWISSGEAR Laptop DAYPACK for $19.98
- The Wake-Up Bundle for $276.12, which includes a Keurig Signature Brewer, Donut House Coffee, Caribou Blend Coffee and an iHome alarm clock radio for iPad/iPhone/iPod; and
- The Supplies Bundle for $249, which includes a Visio Tablet, SwissGear laptop daypack, a 40-piece set of writing instruments from Bic, Post-It Notes and writing pads.
- Back to Class Laundry Care/Cleaning Bundle for $69.88: Includes six brand-name cleaning products from Tide, Clorox, Lysol, Swiffer and more;
- Men's Personal Care Package for $67.28: Includes value packs of products from Degree, Gillette, Crest, Dove Men+Care and more;
- Women's Personal Care Package for $83.67: Includes value packs of products from Crest, Olay, TRESemme, Tampax and more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV