Papa John’s International, Inc. (NASDAQ: PZZA) today announced financial results for the three and six months ended June 24, 2012.
- Second quarter earnings per diluted share of $0.61 in 2012, or an increase of 29.8% over earnings per diluted share of $0.47 in 2011
- System-wide comparable sales increased 5.7% for North America and increased 6.1% for international during the quarter
- 40 worldwide net unit openings during the quarter
- 2012 earnings guidance raised to a range of $2.45 to $2.55; comparable sales guidance raised for both North America (updated guidance range of +2% to +3%) and International (updated guidance range of +4.0% to +5.5%)
“We had an outstanding second quarter as our system continued its strong sales momentum with significant comparable sales increases for our North American and International operations,” said Papa John’s founder, chairman, and chief executive officer, John Schnatter. “We continue to win with consumers, as we recently were recognized with Brand of the Year honors in the Pizza Chain Category of the 2012 Harris Poll EquiTrend Study, and we achieved the highest rating ever by an individual brand in the Limited Service Restaurant Category of the 2012 American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI).”
Second quarter 2012 revenues were $318.6 million, an 8.5% increase from second quarter 2011 revenues of $293.5 million. Second quarter 2012 net income was $14.8 million compared to second quarter 2011 net income of $12.1 million. Second quarter 2012 diluted earnings per share were $0.61, compared to second quarter 2011 diluted earnings per share of $0.47.Revenues were $649.9 million for the six months ended June 24, 2012, a 7.2% increase from revenues of $606.0 million for the same period in 2011. Net income was $31.5 million ($33.8 million excluding the $2.3 million Incentive Contribution discussed later in this press release) for the six months ended June 24, 2012, compared to net income of $28.6 million for the same period in 2011. Diluted earnings per share were $1.30 ($1.39 excluding the Incentive Contribution) for the six months ended June 24, 2012, compared to $1.11 in the prior year.
|Global Restaurant and Comparable Sales Information|
|Three Months Ended||Six Months Ended|
|June 24, 2012||June 26, 2011||June 24, 2012||June 26, 2011|
|Global restaurant sales growth (a)||9.8||%||5.6||%||7.9||%||8.3||%|
|Global restaurant sales growth, excluding the impact of foreign currency (a)||10.4||%||4.8||%||8.3||%||7.8||%|
|Comparable sales growth (b)|
|Domestic company-owned restaurants||7.4||%||2.1||%||5.1||%||4.4||%|
|North America franchised restaurants||5.1||%||(0.1||%)||2.7||%||2.9||%|
|System-wide North America restaurants||5.7||%||0.4||%||3.3||%||3.3||%|
|System-wide international restaurants||6.1||%||4.8||%||7.2||%||5.2||%|
|(a) Includes both company-owned and franchised restaurant sales.|
|(b) Represents the change in year-over-year sales for the same base of restaurants for the same fiscal periods. Comparable sales results for restaurants operating outside of the United States are reported on a constant dollar basis, which excludes the impact of foreign currency conversion.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV