- Underwriting income of $127.9 million and a combined ratio of 47.7%, compared to $9.7 million and 95.5%, respectively, was primarily driven by a relatively low level of insured catastrophes during the second quarter of 2012, compared to the second quarter of 2011, which was impacted by the U.S. tornadoes which had a net negative impact (2) of $70.8 million and added 51.8 percentage points to the combined ratio.
- Gross premiums written increased $25.8 million, or 4.0%, to $667.3 million. Excluding the impact of $30.7 million of negative reinstatement premium adjustments on the 2011 New Zealand and Tohoku earthquakes during the second quarter of 2012, and $23.2 million of reinstatement premiums written from large losses during the second quarter of 2011, respectively, gross premiums written increased $79.7 million, or 12.9%, due to growth in the Company's catastrophe, specialty and Lloyd's units, and inclusive of $37.7 million of gross premiums written on behalf of the Company's most recent fully collateralized joint venture, Timicuan Reinsurance III Limited ("Tim Re III").
- Total investment income of $44.8 million, which includes the sum of net investment income, net realized and unrealized gains on investments and net other-than-temporary impairments, compared to $66.5 million. The decrease in total investment income was primarily due to lower returns in the Company's portfolio of other investments, principally its private equity investments.
- Other income of $11.3 million, compared to an other loss of $5.2 million, was primarily due to the Company's weather and energy risk management operations generating income of $5.9 million, compared to incurring a loss of $3.8 million primarily as a result of positive results from its positions in the United Kingdom and its summer positions as at June 30, 2012 in certain regions of the United States and Canada.
RenaissanceRe Reports Net Income Of $142.3 Million For The Second Quarter Of 2012 Or $2.75 Per Diluted Common Share; Quarterly Operating Income Of $111.5 Million Or $2.14 Per Diluted Common Share
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts