New York Community Bancorp: Financial Winner
The company's second-quarter return on average assets was 1.36% and its return on average tangible equity was 17.40%, which are both solid returns in the current environment for banks.
KBW analyst Fred Cannon rates New York Community Bancorp a "Outperform," although he lowered his price target for the shares by two dollars to $13 last Thursday, while raising his 2012 earnings estimate to $1.14 from $1.03, and leaving his 2013 EPS estimate unchanged at $1.08.
Canon said that multifamily mortgage loan "prepayment income and mortgage banking should allow NYB to cover the dividend for the next two quarters at a minimum," and that "barring any M&A transaction that the company may enter then we believe the dividend is safe."
On the other hand, the analyst said that "there is near-term deal risk in shares of NYB and a higher discount rate and the lower price target is appropriate," adding that "while we do not believe a deal is imminent, we also believe that NYB could use its shares as currency for the right opportunity given the stock currently trades at 1.8x tangible book value which is above the 1.2x median multiple of peers."Interested in more on New York Community Bancorp? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV