The automaker said overall sales totaled 173,966. Retail sales rose 2% but fleet sales declined 16%. Ford sales had been expected to decline by somewhat less. Fleet sales typically decline in July, disproportionately impacting the Detroit Three.
Elsewhere, Chrysler and Volkswagen were reporting sales gains Wednesday morning as the auto industry rolled out July sales numbers, which are expected to increase.
On the bright side for Ford, Fusion sales rose 21% to 23,326, its best July ever, and auto sales rose 3.5%. Explorer sales rose 14.3% to 11,313, the best July since 2006. F-Series rose 0.4% to 49,314. In California, Focus sales rose 58% in July, and retail sales rose 88%.Overall, truck sales declined 9%, largely because of the discontinuation of the Ford Ranger, which sold just 413 units, down from 6,410 a year earlier. Also, Lincoln sales fell 10.7% to 6,975. Sales of the Ford Escape fell 11.6% to 21,572 and sales of the Fiesta fell 23.4% to 4,059. Meanwhile, Chrysler said its sales rose 13% to 126,089 units, its best July sales since 2007. Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, Ram and Fiat brands all posted sales increases in July compared with the same month a year earlier. Chrysler brand sales grew 35% to lead the group. Leading models were the Chrysler 200 midsize sedan, up 43%, and the Dodge Journey crossover, up 69%. Also, Volkswagen said its July sales rose 27.3% to 37,014, the highest level for July since 1973. -- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/tedreednc.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV