The Nasdaq has gained just 0.4% in the past month, although Topeka Captal Markets analyst Brian White sees Apple, EMC (EMC), VMware (VMW) and F5 Networks (FFIV) as the stocks most capable of shining through the gloom.
"We expect the macro environment to remain challenging," he said in a note, but cited the mobile Internet, cloud computing and storage/big data as offering salvation to investors. "Companies that are heavily exposed to these key trends will be able to outgrow tech in total."
Big data refers to the management of vast quantities of unstructured data. Examples include email messages, PowerPoint presentations, audio, video and social media information.Still, though, there are undoubtedly clouds gathering over the tech sector. Texas Instruments (TXN) CFO Kevin March, for example, recently said that the economy, both globally and domestically, is growing at a slower pace. March acknowledged the European headwinds identified by other tech heavyweights such as Intel, as well as a slight slowdown in China, but warned investors not to panic. Nonetheless, Topeka's White expects good things from Apple, EMC, VMware and F5 Networks. Read on for more details on why these stocks are poised to outperform:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV