PHILADELPHIA, July 31, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- GlaxoSmithKline [NYSE: GSK] announced today it has begun shipping the first lots of 2012-2013 FluLaval® (Influenza virus vaccine) and Fluarix® (Influenza Virus Vaccine) to CDC distribution centers and U.S. healthcare providers. This follows approval of this season's GSK seasonal influenza vaccines by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research.
FLULAVAL is approved for use in adults (18 years of age and older) to help protect against influenza disease caused by the virus subtypes A and B contained in the vaccine. FLUARIX is approved for use in adults and also children (3 years of age and older).
"The three strains of influenza virus in the seasonal influenza vaccine can change from year-to-year based on estimates of the strains that will circulate in the upcoming season," said Dr. Leonard Friedland, VP and Head, Clinical/Medical Affairs, GSK North America Vaccine Development. "This is a key reason why the CDC recommends everyone six months of age and older gets an influenza vaccination every year. For the 2012-2013 influenza season, two of the three strains have been changed compared to last year's formulation."
Beginning with today's initial shipments, GSK flu vaccine will be available to most healthcare providers in time to address back-to-school immunization needs of parents and children. Subsequently, the company anticipates being able to supply its seasonal flu vaccines to the US marketplace well into 2013.More information about seasonal influenza and flu vaccination can be found at http://flu.gov and http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season/flu-season-2012-2013.htm. Indication for FLUARIX FLUARIX is a vaccine indicated for active immunization for the prevention of disease caused by influenza virus subtypes A and type B contained in the vaccine. FLUARIX is approved for use in persons 3 years of age and older.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV