In my opinion, however, Seagate investors became distracted ahead of the earnings report, which made their expectations unrealistically high.
Instead of remembering that Seagate issued an earnings warning on July 5, they focused on rival Western Digital's (WDC) strong earnings report last Wednesday, thinking it portended strong results from Seagate, too.
And in recent days, they bid up Seagate's stock.Shares were recently trading at $29.10, down $1.33, or 4.4%, after Monday evening's deeper decline. But even at its recent levels, Seagate stock is still up nearly 18% in July. I think the selloff will be short-lived. The hard drive maker's stock price has risen 120% over the past year and remains in a bullish trend. Even though the company's reported revenue of $4.5 billion matched the lowered expectations Seagate made in its July 5 warning, the number was still a record. And the company still has a 42% market share in storage. Seagate has a price-to-earnings ratio of 6.6, according to Yahoo! Finance. Historically, stocks with a P/E of less than 20 outperform those with P/Es of more than 20. Does this mean you should invest in companies with multiples below 20 without any further consideration? No, however, it does mean when you consider an investment such as Seagate, you typically aren't the last person on the train. Monday's after-hours fall was more turbulence than a shifting sentiment in the company or management. Based on my experience with gap-downs following guidance and news similar to Seagate's, the stock likely will put in a short-term low Tuesday or Wednesday. With Tuesday's opening gap-down price near $28 for Seagate, continued downside pressure probably won't last long. TheStreet's Gary Dvorchak takes another look at STX in
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV