MoneyGram (NYSE: MGI), a leading global money transfer company, today announced that legendary cricket player Sunil Gavaskar – regarded as the “greatest opening batsman of all time” – will serve as ambassador for the company as part of its multi-year agreement with the International Cricket Council (ICC).
MoneyGram is serving as the official sponsor through 2015, after sponsoring the 2010 ICC World Twenty20 tournament in the West Indies.
According to MoneyGram, Gavaskar was invited to serve as the company’s ambassador because many of its customers currently living in the United States moved here from – or have relatives living in – countries where cricket enjoys a popularity similar to American football.
“Cricket fans around the world demonstrate a unique passion that is unlike anything seen in other sports. Their love for the game, and their strong enthusiasm as they cheer for their favorite teams and players, brings friends and families closer together,” said Juan Agualimpia, executive vice president and chief marketing officer, MoneyGram. “Gavaskar is a legend in cricket, who is very well known around the world. We’re excited about the value he’ll bring to MoneyGram by connecting with our customers through events we’re planning in various markets.”A native of India, Gavaskar – nicknamed “Sunny” during his 17-year career – played for the India, Mumbai, and Somerset teams throughout the 1970s and 1980s. Known for his near-perfect technique, he is the only player to score 1,000 runs in a calendar year, and the first player to score 10,000 runs in Tests. Under his leadership, the India team won a number of tournaments, including the Asia Cup, Benson & Hedges World Cup, and the ICC Cricket World Cup. An author of four books about cricket, Gavaskar today serves as a television commentator and columnist for cricket.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV