Twin Disc, Inc. (NASDAQ: TWIN), today reported financial results for the fiscal 2012 fourth quarter and year ended June 30, 2012.
Sales for the fiscal 2012 fourth quarter declined modestly to $96,109,000, from $97,367,000 for the same period last year. For fiscal 2012, sales were a record $355,870,000, compared to $310,393,000 for fiscal 2011. The anticipated decline in fiscal 2012 fourth quarter sales was due to the softening demand for oil and gas products. Shipments to the aftermarket and industrial products markets, land- and marine-based military, airport rescue and fire fighting (ARFF), and commercial marine markets were good, while the yacht market continued to be challenging.
Gross margin for the fiscal 2012 fourth quarter declined to 29.4 percent, compared to 37.1 percent in the fiscal 2011 fourth quarter and 34.6 percent in the fiscal 2012 third quarter. The year-over-year and sequential decline in the fiscal 2012 fourth-quarter gross margin was the result of a change in the mix of sales, primarily due to the impact of lower oil and gas transmission sales, and the unfavorable absorption impact due to the significant inventory reduction experienced in the fourth fiscal quarter. For fiscal 2012, gross margin was 34.2 percent, compared to 34.7 percent for fiscal 2011.
For the fiscal 2012 fourth quarter, marketing, engineering and administrative (ME&A) expenses, as a percentage of sales, were 20.1 percent, compared to 23.1 percent for the fiscal 2011 fourth quarter. ME&A expenses decreased $3,158,000 versus the fiscal 2011 fourth quarter. The table below summarizes significant changes in certain ME&A expenses for the quarter:
|Three Months Ended|
|(In thousands)||June 30, 2012||June 30, 2011||Increase/ (Decrease)|
|Domestic Pension Expense||30||244||(214)|
|Foreign Exchange Translation, Net||(585)|
|All Other, Net||356|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV