Coach, Inc. (NYSE: COH, SEHK: 6388), a leading marketer of modern classic American accessories, today reported sales of $1.16 billion for its fourth fiscal quarter ended June 30, 2012, compared with $1.03 billion reported in the same period of the prior year, an increase of 12%. Net income for the quarter totaled $251 million, with earnings per diluted share of $0.86. This compared to net income of $202 million and earnings per diluted share of $0.68, in the prior year’s fourth quarter, increases of 24% and 27%, respectively.
For the fiscal year, net sales rose 15% to $4.76 billion from $4.16 billion the prior fiscal year while net income increased 18% to $1.04 billion from $881 million. In addition, diluted earnings per share rose 21% to $3.53 from $2.92.
Lew Frankfort, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Coach, Inc., said, “I’m pleased that we were able to once again achieve strong double-digit sales and earnings gains for our fiscal fourth quarter and full year. We made significant progress against our key initiatives – aggressively growing our international business, becoming a market leader in the Men’s accessories category and harnessing the power of the digital world. In FY12, we accelerated the acquisition of key Asian domestic distributors and grew our distribution rapidly in emerging luxury markets such as China.”
“During the fourth quarter our international sales remained robust, driven by both distribution and productivity increases. In North America, however, an increasingly promotional environment led to lower growth than expected in factory stores. As a result, we responded by reinstating our prior practice of in-store couponing in a cross section of factory locations late in the period. It’s important to note that we have significant pricing flexibility and a variety of marketing levers available in this channel, which allow us to balance productivity gains and margin improvement.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV