Archer Daniels Midland Company (NYSE: ADM) today reported financial results for the quarter ended June 30, 2012. The company reported net earnings for the quarter of $284 million, or $0.43 per share, down from $0.58 per share in the same period one year earlier. Adjusted earnings per share 1 were $0.38. Segment operating profit 1 was $544 million.
For the fiscal year ended June 30, 2012, net earnings were $1.2 billion, or $1.84 per share. Adjusted earnings per share were $2.25. Segment operating profit was $2.5 billion.
“In a challenging fourth quarter, solid results from our global oilseeds business, particularly in South America, were more than offset by negative U.S. ethanol margins and weaker U.S. merchandising results,” said ADM Chairman and CEO Patricia Woertz.
“As we look ahead, while drought has reduced the potential size of the U.S. corn crop, we are tracking the development of other crops in North America and Europe,” added Woertz. “While U.S. crop carryouts are expected to be low, we have an experienced business team to manage through this environment.“Conditions like these demonstrate the vital role of our global agribusiness. As weather has regional effects on crops, we respond by working with our customers to provide the best alternatives to meet their needs from all growing regions of the world.” Fourth Quarter 2012 Highlights
- Adjusted EPS of $0.38 excludes a LIFO credit of $0.05 per share.
- Oilseeds Processing performed well; the decline of $118 million was primarily due to the absence of significant favorable timing effects and weaker results in cocoa and other.
- Corn Processing results decreased $48 million as negative ethanol margins more than offset improved results from sweeteners and starches.
- Agricultural Services profit fell $222 million, as tight U.S. crop supplies impacted both export volumes and U.S. merchandising results.
- Other Financial results increased $11 million on lower insurance loss reserves.
- ADM returned $160 million to shareholders in the quarter. For the fiscal year, ADM returned nearly $1 billion to shareholders.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts