- Record revenues for the quarter of $53.5 million, which exceeded the high end of guidance, reflect record professional services billings, strong cross sales and increasing customer acceptance of Medidata’s clinical cloud platform. Revenues for the quarter increased 6% sequentially.
- Application services revenue increased 8% sequentially, reflecting market share gains and growth in adoption of Rave and non-Rave products across our installed base of customers. Remaining year backlog was $80 million, an increase of 28% versus the comparable period in 2011.
- For the quarter, non-Rave revenue increased 100% year over year and 34% sequentially. For the first half of 2012 non-Rave revenues grew 87% year over year.
- A record 33 new customers were added in the quarter, bringing the total number of customers to 316, up 36% year over year. Medidata added over 100 new customers in the past 12 months, while continuing its high customer retention and revenue retention rates of approximately 99% for the quarter.
- Both new and existing customers increasingly looked to use applications across Medidata’s platform, with a record 30% of all new customers contracting for multiple solutions.
- A study conducted by the Center for the Study of Drug Development at Tufts University School of Medicine and sponsored by Medidata found that up to 24% of medical procedures conducted in clinical trials may be unnecessary at a cost of $3–5 billion annually. The research, which will appear in an upcoming issue of Nature Medicine, a premier journal for biomedical research, relied on Medidata’s study and protocol design solution to collect and analyze data from 15 participating pharmaceutical companies. Medidata’s solution, which provides visibility into cost and other metrics associated with a study’s design, is used by customers like GlaxoSmithKline to develop efficient study protocols, reduce trial complexity and streamline clinical trials.
- Medidata had multiple product releases including: broadened capabilities for capturing safety events; a new clinical analytics tool for site quality management; new built-in integrations between Medidata CTMS™ and Medidata Rave ®; a new tool to assist drug companies in handling physician-initiated studies; and expanded capabilities in randomization and trial supply management.
- Raises full year revenue guidance and provides third quarter guidance.
Medidata Solutions Reports Second Quarter 2012 Results
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.