Watching this summer’s sporting escapades is something most of us will relish, but are we taking the right precautions to protect our electronic devices from the unwanted attention that accompanies such high-profile events?
A survey by OnePoll on behalf of McAfee, the world’s largest dedicated security technology company, has revealed that only 13% of the British public are worried about a cyber threat spoiling their enjoyment of the summer’s sporting events. Many were not aware of the risks and threats associated with such high-profile sporting events and the impact this could have on them, their devices and personal data.
The National Security Strategy has stated that cyber attacks pose a threat to national infrastructure systems and the protection of state secrets. The organisation has warned that sporting events being hosted across the UK and Europe this summer present a honey pot of opportunity to those intent on taking advantage of innocent spectators.
Jonathan Evans, head of MI5, speaking at the Lord Mayor’s Annual Defence and Security Lecture recently said security preparations to protect business and individuals over the summer of sports were well under way, but has admitted that an "astonishing" level of cyber attacks from enemy states and criminals is threatening the UK.McAfee has already monitored and stopped a number of scams relating to ticket sales, events and sporting-themed lotteries, which further highlights the need for increased consumer awareness around the threats that exist. Of those aware of the risks, many were taking precautions to protect themselves against the online threats during sporting events:
- 65% will be will be adding a PIN code to their smartphone device
- 61% will be switching off the Bluetooth on their smartphones before attending any sporting events this summer
- 32% are planning to install security software onto their device
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV