Strong sales in the quarter led to the second-highest results in the company's history. Only the fourth quarter of 2011 was higher. On balance, we're pleased with the results for the first half of the year, which are in line with our expectations. We continue to expect and are on track for stronger second half results, which should lead to another year of solid growth and financial performance.
That said, we do recognize that there is more variability in our results this quarter than is typical, which merits further explanation. There are 3 areas, 2 of which are generally timing-related, which impacted our second quarter results. First, the timing of license and termination fees pressured our second quarter growth rate by just over 1%. A swing from the first quarter's results, which had been positively impacted by just under 1%. And although these types of revenue are less than 5% of the company total, on the margin, a few million dollars can move the growth rate in a quarter. Second, we were impacted by several large intricate client implementations, primarily in our online channel business, where significant increases in scope and project duration shifted the timing of revenue from this period to out over the next several quarters.
The last is the impact of several unusual bill payment deconversions, primarily Wachovia, which we have discussed for a couple of quarters within the Payments segment. These impacts were largely anniversary-ed by the end of the third quarter. The cumulative impact of these items on the company's internal revenue growth rate in the quarter is approximately 2.5 percentage points and approximately 1 percentage point for the year-to-date. The majority of the impact is in the Payments segment. These items are also compressing margin commensurately. Tom will provide more color in his discussion of our financial results.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV