Let's now turn to the details of the quarter. Revenue from the factory automation market was $61.7 million and accounted for 73% of our total business. Reported factory automation revenue was flat year-on-year, as growth was offset by a substantial decline in revenue from solar manufacturers and unfavorable currency exchange rates. Backing these 2 items out, factory automation grew 9% over the prior year's second quarter. On a sequential basis, factory automation revenue increased by 4%. A nice increase, the order rate was lower than expected during the quarter, especially in Europe.
Looking at factory automation from a geographic perspective, Asia continues to be our best performer in terms of percentage growth. Factory automation revenue from Asia grew 7% year-on-year and 18% over the prior quarter. While the consumer electronic slowdown hampered growth year-on-year, spending in that market picked up during the second quarter, particularly in Greater China.
In Europe, factory automation declined 1% year-on-year and increased 3% over the prior quarter. On a constant currency basis, European factory automation grew 8% year-on-year. Strong performance in automotive, consumer products and food and beverage offset lower revenue from solar.
Factory automation revenue from the Americas increased 3% year-on-year and declined 1% from the prior quarter. We experienced slower spending in the second quarter, and project took longer to close. Sales to the Japanese factory automation market decreased 13% year-on-year and were flat with the prior quarter. Similar to Asia, the consumer electronics slowdown negatively impacted revenue year-on-year. Furthermore, we are not seeing the growth we expected in Japan following last year's tsunami, largely as a result of many customers shifting production to their facilities in Korea or Taiwan and China.Read the rest of this transcript for free on seekingalpha.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV