RealD Inc. (NYSE: RLD), a leading global licensor of 3D technologies, today announced financial results for its first quarter of fiscal 2013 ended June 22, 2012.
First Quarter Financial Highlights
- Revenue was $68.2 million, an increase of 14% from $59.6 million in the first quarter of fiscal 2012.
- Net license revenue was $41.2 million, an increase of 15% from $35.7 million in the first quarter of fiscal 2012.
- Product and other revenue was $27.0 million, an increase of 13% from $23.8 million in the first quarter of fiscal 2012.
GAAP Net Income Results
- GAAP net income attributable to common stockholders was $3.0 million, or $0.05 per diluted share, compared to $9.6 million, or $0.17 per diluted share, for the first quarter of fiscal 2012.
- The year-over-year decrease in GAAP net income was largely attributable to a $5.9 million decline in “Product and Other” gross profits that resulted from a significantly reduced mix of recycled 3D eyewear shipped to RealD-equipped theaters during the first quarter of fiscal 2013.
- A higher effective tax rate of 61% in the first quarter of fiscal 2013 also contributed to the year-over-year decline in GAAP net income and net income per diluted share.
- Adjusted EBITDA was $23.2 million, a decrease of 11% compared to $26.1 million in the first quarter of fiscal 2012. The decrease was largely attributable to a decrease in “Product and Other” gross profits from 3D eyewear.
- Adjusted EBITDA decreased to 34% of net revenue from 44% of net revenue in the first quarter of fiscal 2012.
- Adjusted EBITDA is defined within the section of this press release entitled “Use of Non-GAAP Financial Measures,” which includes a reconciliation to its most comparable GAAP measure, net income.
- As of June 22, 2012, the Company’s balance sheet included total cash and cash equivalents of $45.5 million, an increase of $20.6 million from March 23, 2012. Total debt as of June 22, 2012 remained unchanged at $25.0 million.
- Cash flows from operating activities were $27.8 million and total capital expenditures were $7.8 million, resulting in free cash flow of $20.0 million.
- The Company defines free cash flow, a Non-GAAP measure, as cash flows from operating activities less total capital expenditures in a given period. Total capital expenditures include purchases of cinema systems and related components as well as purchases of property and equipment.
- The Company repurchased 133,987 common shares during the quarter for $1.6 million, resulting in an average cost of $11.84 per share repurchased.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV