Updated from 10:01 a.m. EDT with settlement prices
NEW YORK (
Gold for August delivery rose $1.70 to settle at $1619.70 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. The gold price traded as high as $1625.80 and as low as $1613.10 an ounce, while the spot price was up 30 cents, according to Kitco's gold index.
"It's driven by anticipation of stimulus," said George Gero, precious metals strategist at RBC Wealth Management. "Traders are going to step back and see which way the wind blows."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV