Chipotle Mexican Grill (NYSE:CMG) said it plans to serve more than 10 million pounds of locally grown produce for the second year in a row, up from 5 million pounds just two years ago. Chipotle has steadily increased its locally sourced produce supply since beginning the program in 2008, with the commitment to serve great tasting vegetables that are grown on farms within 350 miles of the restaurants where they will be served.
“Supporting local farms continues to be important to us,” said Steve Ells, founder, chairman and co-CEO of Chipotle. “Food that is locally grown is fresher and better tasting, and supports local farm communities around the country. Making local food accessible is an important part of our commitment to providing better food, from more sustainable sources. It is a key element in our effort to change the way people think about and eat fast food.”
According to a recent online survey of 2,000 adults by market research firm Mintel, more than half (52%) of U.S. consumers say it’s more important to buy local produce than organic options. Chipotle is a leader when it comes to supporting local farms and more sustainable agriculture.
Chipotle works with local, family-owned farms to provide bell peppers, red onions, jalapenos, oregano, and romaine lettuce for its restaurants. Chipotle restaurants in Florida and California also source locally grown tomatoes, as well as lemons and avocados in California. These ingredients are used to make Chipotle’s delicious salsas, salads, fajitas, and other offerings. Chipotle remains the only national restaurant company with a significant commitment to using locally grown produce.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV