By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Astoria Financial (AF) isn't a name we see often, but option activity lit up on Friday.
OptionMonster's tracking systems showed unusual action in the September 10 calls, with about 3,000 trading against previous open interest of 375 contracts. The first blocks priced for just 10 cents, but premiums shot up to 25 cents as buyers jumped in.
Calls lock in the price investors must pay for the shares, so they can generate some nice leverage in the event of a rally. If the stock doesn't move, however, those same calls will expire worthless.Astoria's shares rose 3.28% to $9.46 on Friday. The small-cap regional bank fell hard earlier in the month after a lackluster earnings report and a downgrade by Stifel Nicolaus. But it trades for less than book value, which could be leading some investors to believe that it's too cheap. Overall option volume was 80 times greater than average in the session. Not a single put traded all session, so the bulls were definitely in control. Russell has no positions in AF.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV