In addition, limited capacity investments at some major accounts hampered our integrated metrology sales. While continued softness in the LED, solar and silicon wafer business brought our materials characterization business to a three-year loan. And finally, our balance sheet has remained strong with cash increasing to nearly $96 million, net of $5 million spent in the quarter on stock repurchases.
Now, I’d like to turn to our key business drivers, the foundation upon which we will grow and further strengthen our business. Today, we have more engagements across more customer products and technologies than ever before. In addition, and quite importantly, the semi industry is pushing a large number of disruptive initiatives that will lead to major technology inflections and thus growth opportunities for Nanometrics. These include 3D device architectures, such as FinFET transistors, 3D memory chips, such as the VNAND, 3D packaging, complex multi-step lithography, EUV, the impending wafer size increased from 300 millimeter to 450 millimeter, and of course, the ongoing pursuit of Moore’s Law through shrinking of critical dimensions with current development efforts focused on low 20 nanometers and below. These investments in device technology whether they are to drive performance, increase yields, or reduce manufacturing costs create more demand from measurement and control and translate to growth opportunities for Nanometrics.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV