Renter Nation Rages On
By Diana Olick, CNBC Real Estate Reporter
NEW YORK (CNBC) -- The supply of empty homes for rent is falling, and the nation's homeownership rate is hovering near a fifteen year low.
How can that be when the housing market is finally turning around and more homes are selling?
The answer is simple: Investors.The nation's home ownership rate ticked up a statistically insignificant basis point, from 65.5% in the first quarter of this year to 65.6% in the second quarter, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. Q1 was the lowest home ownership rate since 1997 and is down from the peak of 69.4% in 2004. Given that home sales improved significantly during the first half of this year, you would think that home ownership rate should have surged higher, but the rate is calculated using only owner-occupied homes. If an investor buys one home or 100 homes, those homes are not even put into the calculation because they owner doesn't live in the homes. Realtors estimate around 20% of homes sales are currently to investors, but given bulk deals offered by the government and banks on foreclosed properties, that percentage is likely higher.
More from CNBC
Sandy Weill: The Guy Who Made the Bank Monster
Will This Year's Olympic Medals Be the Most Expensive in History?
New Styles Sizzle as US Swimwear Grows
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV